Even if you owe the debt, you still have protections – poor treatment of a consumer is more than just bad business — it’s illegal. If you are being harassed by a debt collector, the collections agency may be in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).
The FDCPA outlines how debt collectors — such as bill collectors, collections agencies and corporate collections departments — can go about seeking the repayment of debt from consumers.
The FDCPA forbids aggressive practices such as:
- Making violent threats
- Threatening to file a lawsuit
- Use of profane or obscene language
- Calling friends and/or family members
- Attempts to reach debtors at work
- Threatening to garnish wages
- Early morning and/or late night calls
- Misrepresentation of identity